Making a move to a new city, state, or region can be an overwhelming process when you aren’t well oriented with the area and not sure where to start. Relocating to Asheville, Hendersonville, or any of Western NC’s small towns can be overwhelming. Here, we’ve collected some general information on some of the best places to live in Western North Carolina, along with basic information on county services, utilities, schools, and community resources.
City & County Services For Asheville and WNC
- Asheville: Read about Downtown Asheville and Asheville Neighborhoods. Go to the City of Asheville website.
- Biltmore Forest: Go to the Town of Biltmore Forest website.
- Black Mountain: Read more about Black Mountain. Go to the Town of Black Mountain website.
- Fletcher: Go to the Town of Fletcher website.
- Montreat: Read more about Montreat. Go to the Town of Montreat website.
- Weaverville: Read more about Weaverville. Go to the Town of Weaverville website.
- Canton: Go to the Town of Canton website.
- Maggie Valley: Read more about Maggie Valley. Go to the Town of Maggie Valley website.
- Waynesville: Read more about Waynesville. Go to the Town of Waynesville website.
- Flat Rock Village: Read more about Flat Rock Village. Go to the Town of Flat Rock Village website.
- Hendersonville: Read more about Hendersonville. Go to the City of Hendersonville website.
- Laurel Park: Go to the Town of Laurel Park website.
- Sylva: Read more about Sylva. Go to the Town of Sylva website.
- Cashiers: Read more about Cashiers. Go to the Town of Cashiers website.
- Highlands: Go to the Town of Highlands website.
- Dillsboro: Read more about Dillsboro. Go to the Town of Dillsboro website.
- Hot Springs: Read more about Hot Springs. Go to the Town of Hot Springs website.
- Marshall: Read more about Marshall. Go to the Town of Marshall website.
- Mars Hill: Read more about Mars Hill. Go to the Town of Mars Hill website.
- Columbus https://www.columbusnc.com/
- Tryon https://tryon-nc.com/
- Lake Lure: Read more about Lake Lure. Go to the Town of Lake Lure website.
- Forest City: Go to the Town of Forest City website.
- Rutherfordton: Go to the Town of Rutherfordton website.
- Brevard: Go to the City of Brevard website.
- Burnsville: Go to the Town of Burnsville website.
DMV Offices in Western NC for Driver’s License & Vehicle Registration
For information on updating your driver’s license, license plate and vehicle registrations, see the Official North Carolina DMV website. See DMV office locations in Western North Carolina below.
Asheville Driver’s License Office: 1624 Patton Ave, Asheville (828)251-6065
License Plate Agency: 780 Hendersonville Rd- Suite 8, Asheville (828) 667-2104
Ingles Plaza License Plate Agency: 153 Smokey Park Highway, Suite 160-A, Asheville
Driver's License Office: 290 Lee Rd, Clyde (828)627-6969
Driver’s License: 125 Baystone Drive, Hendersonville (828) 692-6915
Vehicle Registration: 145 Four Season Mall, Hendersonville (828) 692-0648
Driver’s License: 876 Skyland Drive, Sylva (828) 586-5413
Vehicle Registration: 454 E. Main St, Sylva (828) 586-3886
Driver’s License: 164 N. Main St, Marshall (828) 649-2248
Vehicle Registration: 133 S. Main St, Marshall (828) 649-3528
Driver’s License: 130 Ward St, Columbus (828) 692-6915
Vehicle Registration: 51 Walker St, Columbus (828) 894-6430
Driver’s License: 50 Commerce St, Brevard (828) 883-2070
Vehicle Registration: 69 New Hendersonville Hwy, Pisgah Forest (828) 883-3251
Driver’s License: 116 N. Main St, Burnsville (828) 682-9619
Vehicle Registration: 14 Town Square, Burnsville (828) 682-2312
Asheville and Western NC Utilities, Internet
City of Asheville Water Resources
City of Asheville Sanitation
Metropolitan Sewerage District of Buncombe County
Henderson County Utilities
Mountain Area Information Network
Public Transit: Buncombe County Transportation
See our list of Asheville area schools including public schools, charter schools, private schools, and colleges and universities.